Wednesday, March 30, 2011

predicted this could only Yoda have.

At one in the morning I awoke to Katie calling from her room - very unusual.  I quickly woke up and went to her bedside - she complained that she was unable to sleep and her tummy wasn't feeling well. I thought nothing of it other than the usual solution of pooping.  She asked if she could sleep on the floor in our room and I happily obliged considering I just wanted to go back to sleep... not to mention, the unusual nature of her request had me on my toes and willing to meet whatever need arose.  We both rolled up into our covers and slept for another hour.

At two in the morning Katie awoke with a start and beckoned to me which was quickly followed by the familiar I-can't-seem-to-breath-panicked-look on her face and convulsions... she threw up all over the bedding on the floor.  Quickly my mind shifted from sleeping Mom to Mom of the Year Mom to Mom who can't go to her son's birthday party tomorrow Mom to Mom who is trying to control the world at two in the morning Mom to defeated Mom and with a mental slap in the face I was back to Mom of the Year Mom holding my daughter's hair back, rubbing her back, drawing a bath, combing out her fresh, clean hair and tucking her into clean bedding that Dad had put together.  Not a moment later, William walked in with a sullen look to his face and bright red cheeks... he had a fever and then the Mom schizophrenia started all over again - but with tears in my eyes this time.  We were going to have to call off the big party tomorrow.

and after three more throw up episodes with Katie and the family spread out amongst three rooms, we began to stir at approximately 7:15am.  I made the round of phone calls to all Moms affected by the canceled party and apologized profusely for what I knew would be a hard conversation with three Star-Wars-loving-boys.

Today is William's 5th Birthday and although all plans were put on hold, I can't say its been anything but a wonderful day... we had waffles and opened presents; we watched Tangled and William opened a harmonica after having lost his old one almost two years ago while on vacation with friends; we frosted cookies and ate lots of fruit; painted a wood model boat and drooled over his new favorite toy, a Y-Wing Fighter (a step below life-size); spent the morning and early afternoon with Kyle and got to play Lego Star Wars on the xBox...

if I do say so myself, I'm beginning to think that William has received quite the gift this year -- a day at home with all the dreams he could dream coming true... and a 'rain-check' for the Star Wars Exhibit at the Pacific Science Center - hopefully to resume next weeks sometime.

... and I felt sorry for that little guy.  No wonder he's been smiling and sharing and loving on everyone around him - aside from his generous heart, that is.  He's just been given the gift of anticipation and excitement all over again... and its wrapped in incredible gifts to satisfy his instant gratification!




 William, my little man, you are incredibly special and my heart is overwhelmed with love for you.  Enjoy your birthday week...

2 comments:

  1. Lisa just went thru the all night vomiting with Ryan. Your reactions mirrored hers so well, I almost thought it was her writing!! Hope all are feeling well now.........
    Love you,
    Auntie Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Friday I had Julia barfing all day. Monday it was Josh. Today, I picked Gabe up from school (although, no barfing has yet commenced). Every blanket and towel has been washed, etc. It's going around. Hope they're over it now! ~ Rebecca W.

    ReplyDelete