Monday, March 7, 2011

mini post

THE COSBY SHOW

Katie began her love affair with the Cosby show when she first watched it with Grandpa Schei not long ago.  It seems that Grandpa Schei from then on would turn on the television late afternoon as dinner was being prepped and low and behold, the Cosby Show was airing.  And while I listened to the trumpet intro and caught glimpses of the 80s attire, I was a little lighter on my feet around the kitchen...

On Netflix Instant Queue, we have all eight seasons of The Cosby Show now and we've been working our way through in our spare time -- 'VANESSA AND TRUDY!  You two are going to learn how to get along... now I want you to go upstairs, go into your room and leave each other alone!'


KATIE'S SPECIAL BOOTS

In the Fall of last year I bought the UGG-wannabes at Costco for Katie... size 12.  Just the perfect size for her to wear through winter.  They were purchased with the intent of giving them to her for Christmas but when I recognized the abnormal growth rate of my six year old daughter, not excluding her feet, I decided to give them immediately.

These boots were wonderfully taken care of.  They were in the shoe bin all the time, I never once found them in the hallway, they were without smudges and blemishes and always smelled new... in her words, 'they are so special to me and I don't want to get them dirty... I don't want to ever wear them.'  Since these boots have been left in the shoe bin without proper use, I decided to give them away to Regan today - and though I thought Katie might have a hard time with it, I was certain it wouldn't take her more than a brief glance of 'are you kidding me?' for her to regain composure and understandably hand them off... boy was I wrong.  Don't think I hadn't confronted her about the ridiculousness of having a pair of boots that don't get worn - oh we had talked about it long and hard.  But she was unwilling to see the rationale in using them and always circled back, in a panic, to how special they were... it seemed to always trail off knowing that someday I would give them away.

After regaining her composure up in her room, she was ready to talk.  I thought to myself, 'how would Cliff and Claire Huxtable handle such a scenario...' with poise, love and brutal honesty (they used to co-exist... I miss the 80s.)  We talked about how silly it is to spend money on things that aren't going to be used and how that is not what God would be pleased with -- its like an idol to worship!  It fit right into the scripture we've been studying in BSF... Katie seemed, in the least, open to the idea of not robing and crowning her beautiful Costco boots... and seemed even more affected by the idea of a child who can't buy shoes coming in and looking up at her bookshelf of lovely boots yet to be worn.


TO MOVE OR NOT TO MOVE

We are in limbo - I am purging every room in the house like crazy.  Although the kids stuff seems to regenerate.  I'm looking at rentals - we won't be ready to buy a home until things stabilize financially for us as a family and that would imply that Kyle's job is stable and growing, not to mention, we won't want to buy until things stabilize economically... which would then impact our whereabouts of purchasing a home.  We are still in Everett WA working toward stability and predictability -- ha!  Although it could happen... I'm not holding my breath.  This is the hand we've been dealt and I wouldn't change it for the world... (I don't let myself think too long and hard about that last statement)



AND NOW I'M OFF TO BE A MOM...

Katie is upstairs crying because she doesn't feel good and I'm horrible at spending money on proper kleenex... so although I've dosed her up with Robitussin, her nose is rubbed raw from the cheapest 1-ply TP that I could find when shopping at the store the other day... (Costco was a mad house and I wasn't willing to go in - who knew Katie would take the brunt of my ungodly purchase of Safeway sandpaper) -- I will soon go to the store, buy meds and a couple boxes of 3-ply, lotion infused kleenex because now my nose is starting to run.

Katie better know how good she has it...

2 comments:

  1. i love this post and this is why..
    http://rebeccanordyke.blogspot.com/search?q=cosby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca! I had NO IDEA how much you loved it! I cannot get enough lately because of all that you mentioned in your post above -- I'm glad we see eye to eye.

    ReplyDelete