Friday, July 30, 2010

Giving birth to Death.

Now there's nothing like waking up to the blaring realization of how dangerous sin is. 

(James 1:14) but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed.  (15) Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full grown, gives birth to death.

Oi.  In our story today little Evan brought home another creature in his lunch box - something he regularly does (to the dismay of his Mom who has to clean it out every afternoon).  On this day, Evan brought home what he thought was a 'cute little baby snake' and it was relayed to him by his Dad that the little snake was actually a baby rattlesnake with enough poison to kill someone!  His Dad asked Evan to take it outside and KILL IT.  Evan was disheartened that he was being asked to kill such a tiny creature that seemed so harmless!

We likened this to our 'little sins' that when acted on grow bigger and bigger and begin to poison our hearts.  Kyle talked about how it was Evan's Mom and Dad that helped him understand the danger that he was in when he brought home the baby snake and how its Kyle and I's job to teach Katie, William and Ben the danger of giving into even the tiniest of sins.  We talked about the importance of 'killing' the sin in our life regardless of what the sin may be.

This morning I didn't feel that overwhelming flood of emotion that I've been feeling with the other devotions we've been having - as I think about it, I think its because its a reminder to each of us the gravity of sin as opposed to some novel idea that gives me a new perspective on a familiar passage.  

... I am having to cut short my writing this morning and I think it has less to do with needing to get three kids in the car and more to do with my heart's need to be searched through and through -- again, like I said the other day, I know there's those dark little corners and I want them swept.

No comments:

Post a Comment