Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Schei-load of Good Stuff.

Recently (7 days ago), our babysitter left here almost in tears. She had had a long day and our children had only made it that much worse. Katie was talking back and screaming, William was wild and unruly and Benjamin was determined to not stay in his bed after the lights were off.

As I drove Emily home and she relayed the story of the evening, I had to refrain from slamming the gas pedal to the floor and taking corners at mock speed - I was fuming. My children... my sweet, Godly, well-behaved Schei children had driven the babysitter close to insanity with their antics and ill-behavior. They were supposed to be the kids that all other parents thought were perfect. Their behavior was supposed to reflect my wonderful parenting. They were supposed to be my trophy of a well-balanced family and proper discipline.

Humbled and racked with emotion, I knew that all the energy the kids possessed needed to be corralled, broken and redirected so that it was productive - not destructive. Kyle and I decided that chores around the house and a firm hand with regards to cleaning up after most everything they do would likely turn their entitlement issues on their head.

Katie, Will and Ben now make their beds before we go downstairs for breakfast. Before they eat, Katie empties the dishwasher and Benjamin helps her by emptying out the silverware and putting them away. William wipes down the counter after breakfast and then we all huddle in the living room for a devotional time. What I thought would be a battle when asking them to do their chores has turned into a wonderful sense of ownership and excitement! They are a part of the family and their help in housework has given them a more humble perspective - at least its seeming that way right now. We've been at it one week now and they have only batted an eyelash once at the idea of doing their work.

Now if only I can be sure to praise the Lord for wisdom and discernment as we go forward... again, I struggle with wanting YOU to think my children are wonderful, well-behaved and selfless. I want you to get on the Krista bandwagon and begin disciplining like I do because its the RIGHT way - its not the only way, its the RIGHT way.

And I want you to believe that somewhere deep down inside Krista Schei there is a unique sense of discipline and purpose that has nothing to do with God but definitely aids in being obedient to His will; something that is GOOD aside from the Lord Jesus Christ that only works in my favor as I raise my children. Something that you can't ask God for but instead is innate and not everybody has it.

I am evil. There is nothing good inside me. Without the grace of Jesus Christ and His work on the cross, I would be a hopeless mess. Of all the sinners, I am the worst - isn't that what Paul says of himself?! That's how I feel when I confront this sickness in me. Here I am, gung ho about discipline and structure... excitedly sharing and conversing with those of you who want to talk about it... and yet all the while I'm secretly holding onto a sense of pride that its unlikely any one can match what I'm capable of. Sounds harsh I know, you don't have to say it.

Now as we walk forward today, after having our morning devotion together, I'm hoping that God would not only put a 'guard over my mouth and keep watch over the door of my lips' but that He would work on the root of the problem - that my heart would be transformed and that I would more clearly recognize what He has done for me, what He is doing for me on a daily basis, and what He has promised to do for me as I take the next step according the His Will.

1 comment:

  1. Wow you are evil and I am not going to commend you for being honest although I will confess that I sin in the EXACT same way. I also want people to think that I am the perfect mom with the perfect kids not because of God but because I'm awesome. I have to repent of this all the time...it funny whenever I hear myself expressing frustration with my kids for sinning in the same way over and over again I understand how God must feel with my perpetual sin of pride.

    ReplyDelete