Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spring has sprung ahead and left me behind.

Was I the only one in my household NOT ready for the killer 'spring ahead' action?!  Although my husband spoke big about how 'difficult' it was to lose that hour, I can guarantee you his getting up at the crack of dawn, showering, shaving, dressing and splitting was more than I could say for myself as I rolled off the side of the bed.  With covers wrapped hapharzardly around my waist and lying on the floor, I looked not unlike a smoking hot sex scene from a movie except for the three children running circles around me.  Yep, that gave it away and brought me to my senses - oh so slowly...

I've tried, I really have.  The last 89 hours (should be 90 hours) have been pulling at me to get in the game... so today I did.  Today I so called was 'sticking it to the man' and ran a handful of piddly errands that weren't individually life-changing but, in sum, changed my world.  I came home to feed the kids lunch and put them down for naps/quiet time while I myself sent off a few Paypal requests, made me some money, then laid down to refuel for 45 minutes.  I knew 'the man' had a lot more demands of me and I wasn't about to let him win.

I jumped out of bed, sat on the floor in the middle of the kids' playroom and began mercilessly throwing out CRAP and organizing the ONE-KNOTCH-ABOVE-CRAP items into their appropriate baskets.  I vacuumed and wiped down... I moved furniture around to give it a fresh I'm-jumping-into-Spring feel and then left with a smile.

****

Time (roughly a day) has passed and I am now sitting in my bed upstairs listening for any sign of Benjamin needing to go potty.  He is napping in his big boy bed, wearing big boy underwear, holding in his big boy potty until he arises... my hopes are high.

Today is Day 1 of 3 Day Potty Training - talk about getting in the game.  We have had several accidents - gone through roughly 20+ pairs of underwear, done 2 loads of laundry, watched a weeping child hold himself so hard I think he may now be infertile (he is scared of the toilet), only snapped at the bigger kids twice and have said 'Tell Mommy when you need to go potty" 146 times and the clock just struck one in the afternoon.  My patience has been abnormally great and being that the aforementioned scenario was about the worst imaginable (by me), my future's looking bright...

He did walk into the bathroom without screaming by nap time today, he stood on the stool all by himself, I pulled down his underwear and without a whimper or a whine he casually signed 'all done' before releasing anything into the toilet.  This was a win considering only an hour before it was comparable to a lions' den being brought even CLOSE to the bathroom... yep things are looking bright.

I'll keep you all updated -- the dragon stirs in less than an hour and we'll continue on in this feat of potty training our last child... on Sunday the in-laws come over for dinner and it will be a PARTY.



3 comments:

  1. Fabulous. We are back in diapers and pullups and ignoring the accidents and celebrating the you made its. I hope it works better for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it better... you've just fueled my fire. First off, I was feeling disheartened with the diapers and pull ups comment. Now I'm just plain pissed off. Send me a few scathing emails and I'll be sure to come through with flying colors. Wish me luck and a WHOLE LOT OF PATIENCE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If nothing else, you got some great pictures! ;) Sorry friend! Keep it up, he'll get it eventually!

    ReplyDelete