Monday, February 15, 2010

YMCA

The desire to get our family invested in a healthier lifestyle is quickly taking root. We've never been 'unhealthy' but we've always been in a spot where things could be healthier with very little effort -- I just didn't have the energy to put forth the effort. I have always been a runner yet that left 4 people on the sidelines... Kyle hates running and the kids have no backyard.

Yesterday, the big kids and I tried out Mill Creek's new YMCA branch. We became members last month knowing that the indoor pool would be a nice escape from the dreariness of Western Washington winters and unpredictable Spring, Summer and Falls. I knew that with three children my days of jogging were unpredictable and I needed a place to 'house' the kids while I got some time to not only regroup but also burn calories and tone up. THIS would be a wonderful getaway for not much money -- at $87/month (includes <90min FREE childcare daily) it is a steal. The staff has been personable and professional; the timeliness of the construction project has been just as they had said; the pool is warm and refreshing all at the same time; the weight room is still in transition yet will be a beautiful room to sweat and stretch when it is complete this Spring (for now its a long stretch-of-a-room with little space to stretch and lift); the childcare exceeded expectations as the caretakers knew my kiddos by the end of the first day and those in the 'baby' area were more than warm and welcoming to my very disgruntled son being left for the first time. They even encouraged me to come back routinely to get him used to it since the staff is on a regular schedule. So sweet!

Today, Kyle and I dropped the kids off while we worked out. Then we all jumped in the pool for a swim -- it was our family of 5, 2 teenage boys at the opposite end of the pool and 2 lap swimmers! Towards the end of our dip, another family of 4 hopped in and some friends of ours showed up... but it was relaxing and well worth the time it took to undress the kids, put on their bathing suits and shower them afterward. I can't wait to go again... like, TOMORROW.

In addition to our increase in physical wellness, I am also wanting to eat healthier. My dear friend, Rachel, has been doing just this since the beginning of December and has seen such wonderful results... what an encouragement that was to me to not only eat healthier but begin researching aspects of food that I don't have much knowledge about. I am going to start making a lot of my own breads - whole grains and flax seed, etc. I want to start consuming more Steel Cut Oats in the mornings and eating LOTS of vegetables and white meats at dinner time. Lunches need to be more than Mac n Cheese (I wouldn't even buy it at the store today because I know it would tempt me) and I want to get them excited about different foods! They are somewhat picky and it drives me nuts -- but its also due to their environment. Me.

Tear and repair. Tear and repair. (that's what my body is chanting right now)

See you at the Y? I hope so. I'm gonna dive into this book right now so I can get my workout set for tomorrow. Used this book before and its legit - with a back like mine, its one of the few ways to work out and get the results your looking for - from the mirror image to the digestive tract... from the energy levels to the mood levels.

Ahhh... it feels SO GOOD.

1 comment: