Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Dog Hunting.

It will be a year+ before we ever consider adding another 'member' to our family - we need a home that is ours and we have to know how much property we have for the to-be-family-pooch to roam... here are my top favorites thus far:

Let me preface this with 'all are supposed to be GREAT family dogs'...

Wheaten Terrier
+ can run with him; does not shed
- has to be groomed regularly


Leonberger
+ wonderful family dog; incredible temperament
- has to be groomed regularly; sheds


Labradoodle
+ doesn't shed
- have to admit my dog is part poodle


Great Dane
+/- ... I've always wanted one


Boxer
+ good running dog
- not HUGE; I LOVE huge dogs


... I really think it'll be a Wheaten Terrier. I just have this feeling. We'll see.

5 comments:

  1. I dogsitted for a couple Wheaton Terriers once - they are definitely adorable and full of personality, though these particular canines were pretty rambunctious/needy! I'm not sure if they're all like that...could've just been their training. yay for doggies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have some Airedale Terrier/English Mastiff(?) puppies that will be available in April: http://www.nwairedalerescue.org/animals/detail?AnimalID=2165548

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boxers are wonderful dogs. We had one for 11 1/2 years. He was a great family dog and a great watch dog too. If you want one similar, only larger you could get a Matiff, they are huge dogs. When we get our farm we will probably get a Mastiff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Mastiffs... although, I wouldn't be able to run with him unless I dragged a raw steak in front of him (or so I've heard! HA!) And yep, we would need some acreage... they were in the 'running' for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JoJo -- we can't get a dog until we move! We won't do so until the winter of this/next year! Ugh... they look cute, none the less.

    ReplyDelete