Monday, April 12, 2010

What do I know of holy?

As I sit in my living room with quietness all around me I hear the phantom sound of a car horn.  The car accident behind me from only moments ago when I dropped the kids off at preschool was surreal as parents and children dropped out of their cars like dead bugs from jar... some appeared and immediately stood motionless as they peered across the parking lot at the head on collision.  Others walked like robots as though completely unaware of the scene all around them - eyes focused on the pavement, preschooler and Mom hand in hand walking purposefully towards the entrance.

I signed the kids in valet-style and pulled from the parking lot in an attempt to quickly disengage from the story... the further I got the quieter the horn - but I can still hear it in my head.  I pulled through and dropped Nolan off at the elementary school only blocks away and headed towards home... my heart was heavy with the sudden news of brain and breast cancer in a friend and I was summoned to photograph the family before she loses all her hair; the horn is still playing in my head... the conversation with my husband earlier in the day saying that all the funds have dried up that were once being used to resource the obedience God was calling us to in ministry; my heart and confidence for photography - knowing that it is a passion and now is the time to get back in the game... what beautiful timing;  my dear friend and her kids having spent a week with us unexpectedly and the pain that will come when she leaves.

The girl in front of me at the stoplight turns her mirror so that she can see as she wipes unwanted lipstick from the edges of her lips - what looks to be bead necklaces hang from her rear view mirror as if to broadcast a memorable trip to Bourban Street.  I had nothing for her -- wipe your lipstick and get on with your day.  Be sure to wax and shed a few pounds while you're at it... I know I'd likely do the same thing on any other day.

The van drove forward through the intersection and down 35th but I felt like I was standing completely motionless.  Houses and street signs whirred past me; cars came to a stop as I drove by - drivers looking left then right then left again before pulling into traffic - I watch in my rear view mirror.  I have found myself, once again, in a spot of absolute submission to a Holy God.  deep sigh

What do I know of holy? 

Leviticus 11:44 "I am the Lord your God; consecrate yourselves (give yourself entirely to him) and be holy, because I am holy."  So what is holy?
Romans 12:1 "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices (give yourself entirely to Him!), holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship."  So what is holy?

Of holy.  I know only what He has told me in His Word.  He is Holy.  I know that He was sinless, I know that He is God and I know that He is the Holy Spirit.  He is Holy.  I know that He has provided me with life and I know He will control my death.  He is Holy.  I know that life with Him is eternal and I know that death is nothing to fear.  He is Holy.  I know that death apart from Him is eternity without Him and all that is holy.  Because He is Holy.

I am not holy.  I submit to a holy God and am justified in His death.  Because of Him I am dead to sin and alive in Christ; I have hope in whats to come - Jesus said about me in John 17:15 "My prayer is not that you would take [her] out of the world but that you would protect [her] from the evil one."  It is only in our sufferings that we will come to a full understanding of our need for Him and His grace which was possible because He is Holy - we will be set apart in those moments of suffering as He conquers all that the world brings and holds us in His love (John 16:33)...  and we will soon share in His glory (Romans 8:17.)

I commune with a Holy God.  I commune with Thee Holy God.  Daily I watch Him and desire Him.  I hope for what He offers and find that He is faithful in His promises.

I know of Holy and am eager to submit to a God who is. 

Eager to submit daily. 

1 comment:

  1. I just read John 17:15 also and the realization that He knew the fight to submit would be so hard because I would have to fight against an unseen force. I appreciate your words so much.

    ReplyDelete