Wednesday, June 23, 2010

With the best of intentions.

So this morning I woke with the energy to see my children off to their friends' house (likely in their pajamas but in-the-car-and-out-of-the-house-before-2pm, none the less) and I myself would drive down to South Seattle, scope out the Rock N Roll Marathon course and make decisions on where I want to get some great shots of the race.

All the great intentions went quickly out the door the moment Katie looked at her toast, whimpered and stared at me with big, scared eyes.  'Mom, I don't feel very good...'  At which moment her lips turned bluish/white and her face went pale.

To the couch!  She laid down and held the big metal mixing bowl in her arms as she tried to watch cartoons.  Every so often she would sit up, head in the bowl, coughing and sputtering and crying... and I, with all the maternal energy I could muster, would climb across the couch and sit behind her holding her hair out of her face...

(momentary pause for the interesting memories that leapt into my head at that moment)

She did not end up getting sick... yet ironically, after I canceled my entire day, seemed to rise out of the druthers she was in for the morning and around 11am asked for something to eat!

(what the?!!)


I asked her to take it slow and when lunch was served she, in her most mature moment to date, didn't want to eat out of fear for her stomach getting upset -- I didn't have the immaturity in me to point out the ridiculousness of her fort-making, couch-hopping activities and her ability to think so maturely.  The Mongoose IPA I'd been sipping on was only 1/5 of the way gone -- I'd been expecting a day's worth of pajamas and couch sitting and movies and throwing up and now it looks like I may be able to leave the house - one drink metabolizes an hour, correct?  Check.

As I imagined, she's just woken from her quiet time upstairs and is watching some cartoons CLOTHED.  No pajamas, no bed head (she's actually put a clip in her hair) and her face is colorful.

Now I need to go from ENERGIZED-READY-TO-ACCOMPLISH-TASKS-KRISTA to ENERGIZED-BUT-NOT-GETTING-ANYTHING-DONE-THAT-I-INTENDED-TO-GET-DONE-SO-I'M-REALLY-ANGRY-KRISTA to WOW-NOW-I-SHOULD-TRY-TO-ACCOMPLISH-SOMETHING-BUT-IT-LOOKS-LIKE-NOTHING-I-NEED-TO-ACCOMPLISH-WILL-FIT-INTO-A-MATTER-OF-A-FEW-HOURS-AND-NOW-I'M-STILL-ANGRY-KRISTA.

I will take a deep breathe, finish nursing my IPA and sit on the couch to watch Dragon Tales with Katie.  The boys are still asleep - I'm chalking that up as my biggest accomplishment for the day.

1 comment:

  1. That roller coaster between immature and mature moments just gets a little more frustrating as they get older...FYI. You just keep telling yourself...you're _ years old you should know how to_____. It never ends. And of course it's our issue not theirs. Love your real mom moments, they make me feel 'normal' or at least crazy with you!

    ReplyDelete