Sunday, June 20, 2010

What a day. What a Dad.

Happy Fathers Day to EVERYONE! Not just Dads but also the Moms and kids -- its been a great day to set what I want aside (clean house) and enter into a day of what it is that Kyle enjoys. The kids have enjoyed finger paints and Moon Sand -- things that I would usually prepare myself for in advance. But no, Dad was all about BEING The Dad today while I went to Seattle early this morning and helped Jess get the kids ready for a wedding... (here's a few pics, of course!)


Aren't they looking svelte?!  They were likely the talk of the wedding... aside from the bride, of course!  I had a wonderful time hanging out and doing whatever I could to be of assistance... and then I high-tailed it home to be with Kyle and the kids.

When I arrived home this morning, Kyle and the kids had finished watching a couple episodes of a new series on Nickelodeon called 'Avatar' (different than what you think) and had just sat down to paint and relish in building sand sculptures on the table. I smiled and got excited that today, aside from all of my hopes for a spotless house, I would instead look at spending those moments serving Kyle and embracing the relationships instead of trying to create what is, to me, a comfortable... clean... and spotless environment for me to function in.

Kyle appreciates clean. He does not obsess over it.

I need to learn to appreciate THAT. I served my husband by not cleaning today! Who gets to say that?!

We ate fondu for lunch standing at the counter... casual-style.  Kyle is laying down for a nap whilst I edit photos blog. We (the kids and I) will put together chicken enchiladas for dinner tonight and then we will... oh... I don't know! Probably watch a movie... play on the iPad... do NOTHING.

I'm learning to appreciate that what I consider 'doing nothing' is what Kyle considers 'fulfilling and energizing'... oh, this is a good day. I'm going to kick back and do nothing. I say that lovingly... and with respect. THIS is nice.

Aaaaahhh... zzzzzzzz...

No comments:

Post a Comment