Monday, August 7, 2023

USMC Boot Camp Letters - Letter #1

It is my hope that everyone who is thinking of Katie from afar and praying for her mental, physical, emotional and spiritual health will be emboldened by her words.


LETTER #1                                                                                                                                 July 30th

Dear Mom,

I read your letters yesterday in my rack, I received them just an hour before. I teared up a bit. I missed your handwriting! I am writing between songs in church and now during our bible studies. Mom, church is amazing. The service takes place in a theatre, the same one you will get briefed in on family day, right before you get to hug me. The theatre is packed full, 1st & 2nd platoons. with recruits & Marines. Most of the service is worship. It is magical, we all wrap our arms around each other and sing. The whole theatre is filled with voices and swaying recruits. It is so powerful. People raise their hands and cry and laugh and shout for joy. Today our "older sisters" in the column next to us called us girls over and joined arms with us, encouraged us, hugged us. We call them big sisters because they are graduating this week. My company is still little sisters. But! No longer the babies! A new company picked up on Monday.

I am a little scatter-brained, I'm sitting in the bible study class right now. It is lead by an old 'nam vet, who actually reminds me of grandpa Berges. :) 

I can't get over how magical church here is. I'm going to miss it.

After this class we will go back to the squad bay, or what we call "the house", we might get messed with a little, then off to chow. Then probably PT (which is easy!) then maybe some drill, then our evening routine. Lights out is 9pm. We wake up @ 5am (5:30 on Sundays). I won't lie, mornings are rough! They mess w/ us right off the bat, but all I focus on is getting to chow. The food isn't too bad! I just wish we had more time to eat. It is funny though, we all run out of the chow hall directly into formation outside, we are all silent and standing at attention, but you hear random burps echo through the formation.

On the daily I'm in the woodland cammies and boots, but my trousers are cuffed, not bloused. I got my issued glasses yesterday! They are so goofy! But we are all looking goofy together.

There are 90 girls in my platoon, we had 94 but we are still going strong. All in all, I am doing good. I am tired and worn out, but I'm living chow to chow. The days go by fast that way. Already two weeks done!! I think we leave for Pendleton week 6 or 7? Once we get there - "up North" they call it - boot mellows out mentally. I just have to make it to that point, no problem. :) Then begins the hiking! I'm so giddy for that!

I've been craving Grub Hut burgers and milkshakes, that might have to be my first eat-out during my boot leave. :)

I love you guys so much. I miss you all a lot. It hit me hard a day or two ago. 11 more weeks to go. Time does not stop. It will be Sunday again soon.

Hug everyone for me, pet the cats, pet Winnie. Also enjoy your morning coffee too! I miss that. I can't wait to come back and enjoy quiet moment w/ you in the morning. My inner clock will wake me up early! Blankets, coffee, books, early in the morning sitting together on the couch.

This letter is slightly scatter-brained, but more to come. I love you so so much, Ma.

- Your daughter, Katie

Katie wrapped the letter in a separate piece of paper with a short note...

I love you all so much. I will write more soon. I love you all. (we march everywhere. Miles a day, and our DI just started singing our cadence. It is so incredibly beautiful. I almost started crying the first time she did it. It was early morning and surprisingly foggy. Lovely.)

No comments:

Post a Comment