Sunday, September 19, 2010

Happy Birthday, Katie-bug!

This morning we rolled out of bed -- some less excited to roll out than I... I couldn't WAIT!  In 60 minutes we would be leaving for Katie's FIRST horse-back riding lesson at Graystone Stables in Snohomish, WA.  I had spoken with Chris Uyyek from the Equestrian Center and she had been so personable -- I knew it would be a wonderful fit for Katie... and Katie had absolutely NO IDEA.

We ate breakfast and opened two birthday presents -- one was a book for drawing all different types of horses and the other was a pair of black cowgirl boots... I bit my tongue before I spilled the beans - something Chris praised me for when I arrived at the stables...

Here is our morning in pics -- Katie was thrilled and on our way home we explained to her that this gift is from Mom and Dad as well as Grandpa and Grandma Berges AND Grandpa and Grandma Schei... she raised her eyebrows, and with a look of 'ah-ha! now i understand!' she explained what she thought had happened... oh! Since you and Dad haven't had much money, but you knew I loved horses, Grandpa and Grandma Berges and Grandpa and Grandma Schei gave you lots of money to pay for horse riding lessons for me?!  And then when I'm done - cause I have four more as part of my birthday gift - you and Dad will talk about if you have money for more horse riding lessons!

I chuckled and agreed that, "yes, in short, that's exactly right Katie-bug.  Happy Birthday!"

Katie learned how to bring the horse from its stable to the area where Scooter would be groomed and prepared for riding -- she got to brush and clean his nails... she learned about tack and how to put it on with all its loops and buckles... then she walked with Chris out to the arena and climbed on.

Enjoy the pics...

7 comments:

  1. So fun! She will remember this forever. As will you I'm sure. Happy Birthday Katie!

    And just so you know, horses have hooves not nails. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kass!! Thats so funny because as the kids were biting at my ankles today I was trying to 'wrap up' my post and I couldn't for the life of me come up with the word... ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are awesome pics, and Katie was a delight as a student. I'll be looking forward to our next lesson together. I love working with curious children who want to learn. - Chris Uyyek

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the best part of my job teaching is that I get to meet wonderful people who love animals and want to learn how to make the world a better place for them. How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure Katie would have corrected you soon! Sounds like she has a wonderful teacher. That would have made a world of difference for my riding 'career'. After my parents bought both my sister and I horses we decided it wasn't cool. I so wish I had had a different attitude looking back! My mom still has my horse, DoughBoy, who is now 31 years old. Such a sweet old boy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris -- we cannot WAIT to see you again! You are definitely gifted in what you do and we are looking forward to this time... hopefully a long-standing relationship with GrayStone Stables!! And Kess -- I can TOTALLY see you being a horse girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How dreamy for her! What a perfect introduction.

    ReplyDelete