Saturday, November 28, 2009

Wanting the Wonderland.

Tonight I smiled.

I stared out the window as I sat in the back of my in laws' SUV. No, not in the middle back... in the way back. You know, the little seat that sits about 6-8 inches above the middle back seat and therefore drives your knees into your chest... I stared out the window with a mysterious smile on my face as we sped towards the town's Christmas festivities. The trees sped by us, the whur of the wheels was constant and low hum of WARM's music played to the right and to the left. Though I was in the presence of folk who don't usually indulge themselves in the 'magic of the season' I found myself 'defiantly?' enjoying the moments of being imaginative again and allowing my children the freedom to believe in something so fun and overly dramatized as SANTA CLAUS.

Katie was dressed in her Christmas best - a pair of black Mary Jane heels with white socks... a pair of jeans... a Costco Christmas dress with blue sparkles, velveted breast and long sleeves. She wore a satin white winter coat with Grandma Schei's scarf hanging proudly around her neck. William was lost in thought as he considered where the car was headed and what we were up to... I'm sure he thought of why we weren't already there and, if so important, why it wouldn't spontaneously appear without all 'the work'. He then began thinking of the sprinklers at the park last summer, Claire's birthday party cupcakes-on-a-stick, having to go pee, Mrs. Pawley's wonderful face and the dog that looked like Annie.

Ben was completely consumed by the 'minty thing' that he got to have at the start of the trip to town that everyone keeps telling him 'no' about... he WANTS HE WANTS HE WANTS. But due to his inability to execute the appropriate 'MORE' sign, it seems that no one is allowing him another. If only he could bring himself to stop rubbing his chest emphatically in a circular motion... (and people say that teaching children and dogs is SO different.)

We arrived and what I thought would be a 100 ft. Christmas tree turned out to be a gigantic version of Charlie Brown's classic Christmas tree. Hung from it were large what-looked-to-be-homemade Christmas ornaments and large 80s bulb lights. It brought a smile to my face and I melted into a puddle of Holiday magic in a moment... we watched as Santa arrived in a fire truck, people were shuttled up and down the street in a horse and sleigh, and kids sat atop Dad's shoulders as Santa and the elves lit the Christmas tree.

"SEVEN... SIX... FIVE... FOUR... THREE... TWO... ONE..." The top half of the tree lit. I clapped and smiled with such joy because it was REAL. Thank God it was REAL. Life isn't perfect. Life isn't always predictable. Life is just... well, beautiful. So, let yourself imagine Santa Claus can be here to light the town Christmas tree -- away from the hustle and bustle of the toy shop at the North Pole. Let yourself imagine that the coffee in your hand is the World's best hot chocolate and you're sipping through candy canes. Let yourself imagine that this year Santa will be leaving a gift for YOU and not just the kids.

Maybe this year (the bottom of the Christmas tree finally lights)... maybe this year you will care more about creating an imaginative land for your little one because you remember - if even for a moment - how wonderful it was to countdown the 25 days to Christmas... leave cookies for Santa and carrots for the reindeer...

Consider creating a 'chain' for the kiddos -- you have 2 days.

Life is good.

3 comments:

  1. So I just told Aiden Santa wasnt real. I thought he would be sad, but he argued with me until I gave up that he was indeed real and was the one who brought presents, not mom and dad. Also, Christmas is santas birthday, not Jesus....we have some work to do :)

    But as I set about systemattically destorying all his holiday fantasies I will try to leave a little holiday magic....somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh... oh boy, you make me laugh. I can't wait for you to publish your first book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a childhood moment with your heart...we need those from our God who loves us to live in the mystery of the world he created. Even though he didn't create Santa it is still nice to remember that there is still mystery for us as adults. And yes, I agree, life is good.

    ReplyDelete