Saturday, August 12, 2023

USMC Boot Camp Letters - Letter #3

It is my hope that everyone who is thinking of Katie from afar and praying for her mental, physical, emotional and spiritual health will be emboldened by her words.


Letter #3                                                                                                                                    August 6th

Dear Mom,

finally, a breather. I am writing this in a quiet squad bay w/ NO Drill Instructors and only 5 other recruits. I just got back from church and decided to skip the bible study class to get some quiet time and finally read your last letter that I got a couple days ago.

Your letters are my favorite. I love them so much. I love you so much. I miss you guys like crazy.

It has been a rough week. Today's church service was a lot of singing and crying and decompressing. I wrote you a letter the first day I was at medical. I had gotten a yeast infection! Then I went back the next day because the cold and sore throat I had had got worse and I was dizzy and all. So I was already coughing up flem and blowing green snot when I woke up on the third day with pink eye, which has been going around the platoon. We were all sick. So, this week I have felt so sick. Yeast infection, influenza, and pink eye. I have had no energy and very little motivation, but chow to chow. The weeks are going by faster. I am on the uptick! Yeast infection's gone. Pink eye almost gone as of today, and the flu is getting slightly better. That one might last a bit.

Our days are pretty predictable. We were issued our rifles during our 2nd (early second) week here and immediately started marching/drilling with them. It is cool, now that I think about it, that I now know how to sling a rifle around and do those cool transition, as well as march! We do cool but basic drill/march movements. We do not walk anywhere. We are always marching or running. Either or. So we are sweating a lot & burning a lot of calories! I am so hungry... all the time! I stuff as much in my mouth as I can at chow. We also get evening snack right before bed during our square away time.

Everyday we have some form of PT, whether that be a workout or what we call MCMAP, which is fighting techniques, but they make sure to make it a workout. We also have a class of some sort everyday. We have history classes, weapon classes, war technique classes, etc. All kinds of things, even ethics! The history classes are not as entertaining as Mr. Seems though. :)

I have plenty to say about my drill instructors, but I will save that for another letter.

I love you so much. The sports bras are actually alright! They fit! Please pray that God continues to give me strength. And that I would be healed! I'm tired of being sick. I want my energy back.

For now, I am getting emotional and I don't know what else to say heart so I have a good friend here with me, and I'm going to get her help re-gelling my hair. The slick back bun.

I'll have chow here soon, then more drill.

I love you so much. Hug everyone for me.

- Your daughter, Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment