Monday, November 20, 2023

USMC Boot Camp Letters - Letter #9

It is my hope that everyone who is thinking of Katie from afar and praying for her mental, physical, emotional and spiritual health will be emboldened by her words.


Letter #9                                                                                                                  around October 1 2023

**** we got this letter a couple days after we brought Katie home! So I literally read it in front of her****

Hey Ma, smiley face

I'm a Marine now. It hasn't hit me yet. Today is our last day up north, we are packing the squad bay/house today and bussing it back to MCRD in the morning. I need all of my belongings to fit into 1 seabag. I am excited to organize and pack all my stuff! Packing makes me happy. I will probably have to do it after lights though. So I'll be doing that tonight in skivvies and the cozy green crew neck they issue us. I just got your letters last night, the ones you sent me on September 10th. I love you heart and the boys. Once we get down south again, we will start prepping for grad. 13 more days till I see yall. heart

13 weeks becomes 13 days! Can you send me 4 pairs of contax? And! Can you pack me some clothes for after graduation? A pair of pants or jeans and some t-shirts, underwear, and my grey patagonia sweats and tractor/bay hay hoodie? Thank you!

I can't wait to see everybody. I've been debating what I want to eat after graduation. I will keep you posted. smiley face It sounds like I might have another opportunity to call you next Sunday during liberty Sunday.

-----

I am back on the bus! Back on the bus to MCRD. Less than 2 weeks until I see you. 12 days smiley face I love you so much. I got on the bus and they were playing the disco song! 

-----

I'm back. I hae begun writting you all a couple times but I get overwhelmed with how much there is to catch you up on that I just settle for waiting til I see you... in 9 days. I realize I haven't written you since the lice incident 3 weeks ago. That means you haven't received a letter in about 2 weeks... But you will see me in just over one! I cannot wait to see you all. I love you so much. Thank you, dad, for the birthday letter. heart I spent my birthday on the range distances, there we had a night hike w/ packs, then I crawled into a sleeping bag, into a bivy sack, under the stars and fell asleep.

I've been daydreaming about being home. We get our orders next week, I will know then if I got RA or not. Either way, I can't wait to walk down to Woodward for your lunch break ma, and say hello. Dad and I will probably have time at the house as he works, maybe a day/couple hours in Seattle to get dick's burgers. I've been craving some dicks burgers.

Up North was wild. Very busy. We walked everywhere. There were weeks straight where we had 20+ lbs on our backs at minimum morning til evening chow: flack, kevlar, rifle, all of that is probably close to 30. Once we have square away time we spend it squaring away gear and rolling out and icing our tired bodies. Once lights hits, and your head hits the pillow you are asleep. Out. Cold.

I have so many stories to tell you all. I imagine I am going to come home and ben is going to want to try on all my cammies, Will will want to know all the goofy crap I was able to pull off. the church up North was 10x better than down South. It would last all 4 hours and we could hang and worshp and take communion. I cried. I hadn't taken communion in 9 weeks, and then one Sunday they (right before the crucible, the day of) gave the communion to echo company because there was only enough for 40+ of us @ church. It was really special. And the pastor had made cross chains for all of us. I still have mine. smiley face 

I can't wait to go to church on Sunday with you all. There are so many thing I can't wait for. I will be honest, I am sitting in a class right now trying to stay awake. That hopefully explains the choppy thoughts!

These marine days (as they call them) are so slow. They are sluggish and pass by slowly. Painfully so!

I love you,

your sister & daughter

Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment