Wednesday, February 9, 2011

the crescendo

(the orchestra begins to grow quiet)

Over the recent years, and more so the recent months, I've experienced God's hand continuing to strip down all of those dear to me. Not in exclusively difficult or exhausting circumstances, but in a growing-up-and-figuring-out-who-we-are in the eyes of those around us, to the Lord and to ourselves, kind-of-way.

The Lifers, mentioned multiple times in my past blog posts (see here and here), have not waned in their importance in my life but instead have become even more potent as we've spread out, found spouses, had children and dived into careers and minivans. We've kept in touch, even if every few weeks and/or months, and haven't lost sight of what it is we all desire for our families in the future - to be Second Generation Lifers. I guess I shouldn't speak for everyone, as some of them I haven't spoken to in literally months, but I do believe if we all had the opportunity to create for our children a 'scaffolding' for building relationship, we'd want to model it after how we've done it ourselves and with each other.

(the orchestra has silenced, you hear nothing but you wait in anticipation... then you hear a note and then another and then another... the crescendo begins...)

Just two days ago I called Jenny Haferbecker.  I was in the midst of spending my last evening alone with my kids before Kyle arrived home from a two-week trip to Los Angeles and I was making pizza... not your average pepperoni, mind you... my toppings included bleu cheese, candied almonds, caramelized onions, prosciutto and pears.  So I called Jenny cause my gourmet pizza just made me wish she was sipping red wine and helping me create yummy combinations.  Ok, to be completely honest, I called her because if she gives me a 'nod' than I know I've done a good job with my dinner and I wanted her to know that I can do something different than mac-n-cheese... I'm growing up!  She knows that about me already... but its nice to just 'put it out there' sometimes - and she's usually the one I want to tell.

During that conversation she says, 'so... we're moving to Tacoma...' with a grin in her voice. (... the crescendo...)  She had to wait a SPLIT SECOND before my voice broke and I was elated at the thought!  Our brains began racing with the horizon that was opening up before us!  Day trips and lunches and parks and sleep overs and... and... oh my this couldn't get better.  (... crescendo...)  Then I realized that it was only 4 months away and I could hardly contain myself -- still can't, in fact!  (... the crescendo is so loud and full!)

... and then I think about 18 months from now when my friend Jamie Forbes moves back to the states from the UK with her family and my dear circle continues to not only deepen but widen!  Not only do the roots run deep but now they are within arms reach and the day to day life will begin to unfold with these wonderful women and their families influencing our thoughts, our activities, our hearts...

As Kyle and I continue to focus our sights on the unknown and pray that God would order our steps, I feel stronger and stronger that we'll be on Bainbridge Island come Summer/Fall but those 'thoughts' are simply 'thoughts' until God gives us peace and we actually make the move.  Considering all of this, I'm excited!  This time in our life is wonderful and though hard moments have fallen on us with regards to life's circumstances and relationships, we've been aware of God's sovereignty and faithfulness through it all.

And now looking ahead and up at the mountain of opportunities in front of us we're reminded of His love and how much He desires to give us the desires of our hearts... I pray that the desires I have now are in sync with the plans He has for me... cause as it looks now, there's a whole lot of awesomeness that I could never have imagined - and boy, it'd be fun if it looked like what I'm picturing.

The crescendo is on top of me right now and as I walk outside into the sunshine beating down on me today I can almost hear the stringed instruments in my head... I put a leg up and hop into my driver's seat, I adjust my mirror and put down my visor so I'm not blinded by the unfamiliar Pacific Northwest rays.  I drive with a smile on my face and I walk with a skip in my step... Jesseca spent the morning hanging out and showering at my house... I talked to Rebecca yesterday... Jenny's moving home and Jamie soon thereafter... Amy's just a call away - life is good.  God is good.

I can't wait to hear the next song!!

Happy Valentines Day, Krista!!
Love, The Lord God Almighty

1 comment: