Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Hollywood ya ever move here?

There has been so much talk about what Kyle is up to -- and there isn't necessarily a quick explanation.

I'm going to take the liberty of trying to draw for you a sketch of our current life - as unkempt as it may seem...

In August, Kyle and I were feeling an urgency to disembark on something new.  It wasn't the 'new' that was appealing as it was the 'old' losing all appeal considering the economy - a mortgage broker and an aspiring photographer were trying to make ends meet in a culture that applauds debt (be it ever so silently) and massages you to spend the cash you've got as quickly and frivolously as possible.

The rat race of this area - although 25 minutes north of downtown - was becoming a place that we couldn't, and didn't want to, keep up with anymore.  There were weeks of good friends bringing over food and dropping off staples such as toilet paper and canned goods along with whatever they had extras of in their pantry -- Kyle and I were blessed with wonderful anniversary gifts and the kids were well taken care of...

God was faithful.  And in that moment, we began to revise this 'plan' we've had of staying where we're at - Mill Creek, Washington.  Not necessarily because we didn't think we could make it if we wanted to but because we simply didn't want to -- that desire was not there and it was gently pushing us away from our current professions to look at other options.

A dear friend of ours tipped us off on a possible pastoral position at his church in Yakima, Washington.  We thought about it and Kyle was excited to send his resume.  We heard nothing back and again set out searching for whatever we thought may be up God's sleeve...

Kyle came home one night and said that he'd been working with Ali on a project out of Los Angeles (Ali of Arc Media - Arc Media is a small Northwest-based company Kyle has been doing consulting work for).  This project was working with one of Hollywood's most prestigious talent agencies and he was considering not only managing the project but also traveling down to Hollywood to sit in on meetings and get a first hand look at what it was this project was all about.

Since then, he has traversed back and forth up and down the West Coast with a pen and a pad of paper (aka laptop) spinning new business ideas and tv shows out of whatever it is that God has gifted him with.  Most recently, Breakthrough Star has been launched and the tv show out of Las Vegas is being looked at by Endemol for airing the season after the coming season...

All may sound quite eccentric -- but please understand, though most high-rollers are eccentric people, not all eccentric people are high-rollers... hence, I am boiling out soup bones and making bean soup day in and day out... I'm driving on fumes and waiting until I'm sweating my last mile before filling up the tank... I'm buying Christmas presents at the consignment store and vacuuming out my own car in the cold, windy weather... I'm staring at the Cup O Noodle cups for reasons other than cheap bowling pins and I'm making my own ornaments for the tree.

We have no idea what this will shape up to look like... to be quite honest, I've looked at everything on the market from half-million dollar homes on Bainbridge Island to small apartments here in S. Everett/Mill Creek for when our rent is up in 7.5 weeks... not to say we think we are in a place to execute either of those plans but I do feel like God is lovingly giving me the room, per se, to see what this economy provides so that when the time is right we will be ready for it... or as ready as we can be.  Of course, God has a plan and he's just gracious enough to let me 'peruse' the possibilities that are out there...

All could explode and we could praise God for his continued faithfulness and provision through Kyle's job OR all things could implode and we could praise God for his continued faithfulness and provision through whatever other means he provides...

We're never quite sure... such is the life of the Scheis.

And could I EVER move to Hollywood?  I don't think so...

Has God ever done crazier things?  Yes I believe so...

As for now I'm praying for 'less crazy'.
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!
    I admire how fluid you keep your picture. I have a very concrete picture in my mind of how things will look.
    I pray things come together soon and clearly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista, no one wants to actually live in Hollywood. Hollywood is trash. You might as well move to a nice run-down apartment on the corner of 99 just before the bridge. But I assure you, as a loyal NWerner, you could live in LA. I trash-talked this place a ton before I lived here, but it turns out living here is a lot different than just telling yourself what LA is "like". Our first place in Silver Lake (just east of Hollywood) was in a beautiful house with a nice deck on a quiet street reminiscent of Bellingham. And there are pockets like that all over this city ...

    Excited to see what happens in the next few months!

    ReplyDelete