Sunday, October 10, 2010

3 Day Potty Training: Take Two

Beginning this last Friday, October 8th, I attempted - once again - the Lora Jensen's 3 Day Potty Training with my youngest, Benjamin. Day 1 was promising as we had only 2 full-blown accidents and 8-10 'spots' on his undies... he had peed 3 times in the toilet, woke up DRY from his nap time and seemed to be responding well to the 'feeling' but not being able to relax enough to pee once he sat down. Day 2 came and went without much progress -- less pees in the potty AND less accidents... but he woke up DRY from his nap! It seemed kind of a wash. Day 3, today, was worse as he didn't seem to connect everything like I thought he might... he had more accidents, he didn't pee on the potty before Noon and he pooped in the bathtub. While elbow deep in the bathtub poop water, sifting out all the toys and tossing them in the trash, I thought to myself, 'I can't do this... this is never going to work but I will not put diapers back on... the last two and a half days will not have been in vain. I will be doing this for awhile... (sigh)'.

Around 4:00pm this evening, Benjamin peed in the potty. I raised my arms in the air, jumped up and down screaming and clapping while in my mind I knew I needed to save some energy for what I believed would be the coming several weeks of potty training...

4:00pm... we called Rebecca on Skype and she cheered. While on the phone, we raced to the bathroom and he went again...

About 30 minutes later, Kyle and the other kids arrived home from running errands and Ben raced in to the bathroom all by himself, put his toys on the ground, pulled down his undies and peed in the potty. We all cheered and spent the next two hours watching a movie together -- no accidents on Ben's part and a lot less skepticism on my part... he had finally gotten it.

Before bedtime, the kids walked into the bathroom, brushed teeth and they ALL went potty 'on demand', if you will! Amazing. Although, Benjamin has yet to poop in the potty, he is potty trained and understands his 'signals'! He will even walk in and do it all himself - WITHOUT ME!

Unbelievable...

Here are pics from today as I ran around in absolute JOY!







No comments:

Post a Comment